Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Pigs, thank you for your ribs

Is that a disturbing title?  Seriously though, how good are ribs?!  My dad came across a rib recipe ages ago and that's the only recipe my mom will use.  Bull's-Eye BBQ sauce with oregano and thyme...really...how could you go wrong!?  I can smell the aroma and taste its goodness as I write this.  So after buying said bottle of Bull's-Eye, a challenge was presented to me NOT to use said bottle.  My husband is great about reminding me we're doing Paleo (as I laugh to myself).  Some days you want to be lazy and buy the bottle of BBQ sauce that uses molasses and salt and sugar.  (I still love you Bull's-Eye!)  So the hunt was on.  I came across a BBQ sauce recipe I thought sounded okay.  I mean, when you've had a dish the same way for YEARS, it's not a huge desire to change it up all of a sudden.  However, I wanted to treat my husband to a great Paleo rib, so I thanked God I had bought 2 ingredients the day before (which I needed in this recipe) and got to work.  I browned the ribs on medium high heat and then put them in a crock pot (my new favorite form of cooking - so easy!) with the sauce and let them go for an hour on high and then turned them down to low for about 4 hours.  By the end we had tasty ribs that were Paleo friendly.  Again, pigs, we thank you for your contribution to our yummy dinner!  You can find this recipe at www.sonofgrok.com.

SoG Zesty Barbecue Zauce
Ingredients:
- 1 6oz can tomato paste (preferable organic)
- 1 to 1.5 cups of beef stock (I made my own but if you buy, you want it without salt)
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- .5 of an onion
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) (I used regular olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (I used kosher salt)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
Directions:
1. Dice your onions and garlic as fine as possible. You want your BBQ sauce a little chunky but the more fine you dice these, the better the flavor will spread through the entire sauce.
2. Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan. Whether you use 1 cup or 1.5 cups of beef stock will depend on how thick you want your sauce.
3. Bring sauce to heat on stove with a low setting.
4. Cover and simmer. Stir frequently and taste regularly. The longer you simmer, the more consistent your flavor will be. I simmered for 20-30 minutes.
5. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment